No announcement yet.

Mid-michigan imac contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a Great Planes 55” Extra with an OS 55AX and was not in last in my very first contest after the first day. I did manage to pile it in the second day so was last because of that. It’s the only time in 40 years I think I got a radio signal glitch.

3 years later I flew against a high schooler with my 100cc EF Yak and he had a 30cc AJ Laser and he beat me and several others very convincingly. He practiced a lot for that.

Comment

Originally posted by David Pierce View Post
      I used a Great Planes 55” Extra with an OS 55AX and was not in last in my very first contest after the first day. I did manage to pile it in the second day so was last because of that. It’s the only time in 40 years I think I got a radio signal glitch.

3 years later I flew against a high schooler with my 100cc EF Yak and he had a 30cc AJ Laser and he beat me and several others very convincingly. He practiced a lot for that.
      Just like any other sport, practice is the main way to succeed! I have a GP Extra as well although, Mine is the 60" kit with an OS 60 in it that my dad and I built quite a few years ago, it was my 4th airplane after I mastered my Contender. I still have it and have been contemplating using it in the competition.

Comment

Jeremy - I flew my first contest in 2006 with a GP 60 size Extra with a GMS 72 (I think). I flew my first few contests with that plane. Practiced like crazy with it and learned the fundamentals of aerobatic flying. Sure there were lots of larger planes at the contest but I had a ton of fun and learned the ropes of contest flying. I cannot pretend that I won any prizes with it but I also did not finish in last place.

As many others will tell you, well set up planes make it easier to fly, but it is the person pulling or pushing the sticks that makes the difference. Fly the plane you are most comfortable and confident with.

Main thing is to have fun and make friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Teeter View Post
          Jeremy - I flew my first contest in 2006 with a GP 60 size Extra with a GMS 72 (I think). I flew my first few contests with that plane. Practiced like crazy with it and learned the fundamentals of aerobatic flying. Sure there were lots of larger planes at the contest but I had a ton of fun and learned the ropes of contest flying. I cannot pretend that I won any prizes with it but I also did not finish in last place.

As many others will tell you, well set up planes make it easier to fly, but it is the person pulling or pushing the sticks that makes the difference. Fly the plane you are most comfortable and confident with.

Main thing is to have fun and make friends.
          Alright, I guess it's time for me get back out to the field and keep practicing!

Comment

Had a blast at the Saranac Imac event this past weekend! Unfortunately I won't be making it to the Jackson event though. Between the cost for admission ($60 for 3 flights is a little steep) and the drive to get there, it's hard for me to really get into this sport. To add to that, I was being encouraged to set up switches for different manuvers which I feel like is not in the spirit of the sport. My airplane has high med and low rates and a cut off switch which is all I need. Anyways, I'm still planning on doing another Imac event this year but as of now my plan is to burn a few packs on my electrics at the electric fun fly at Walter RC park.

Comment

The travel part makes it harder, that’s why they are trying to encourage more contests at different fields. I didn’t travel the first two years. Some of the guys carpool too. The cost part is partially because when a club gives up their field for the weekend, they want to make a little money.

You did some great flying, hope you can make some more contests!

Comment

Originally posted by David Pierce View Post
                The travel part makes it harder, that’s why they are trying to encourage more contests at different fields. I didn’t travel the first two years. Some of the guys carpool too. The cost part is partially because when a club gives up their field for the weekend, they want to make a little money.

You did some great flying, hope you can make some more contests!
                Thanks! But from the looks of it right now, I may do at most one more this year if it's close enough. I think the main reason that Imac is having a hard time getting new people is the cost. I agree that the club would want to make a little money but like I said, it's just too much for me to come out and compete. I was really thankful for the first time discount that was going on at Saranac though.

Comment

I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your first IMAC experience Jeremy. I'm sorry I didn't get the opportunity to meet you and watch you fly. It's always a highlight of mine to interact with new participants and seeing so many Basic contestants at the contest was a real thrill for me and everyone in our community.

I hope that as you look back on the contest, your enjoyment of the weekend as a whole outweighs some of the negative aspects you listed above. I know I felt similar in a number of ways after my first contest back in 2014 that made me question if competitive flying was for me. I was very sensitive about how I spent my time and money so the cost for entry fees, travel, food and time spent both away from home and the actual flying needed to be justified. It didn't take long, however, to really appreciate all the good that comes from IMAC, the events and the people involved. The time and money spent has been a fantastic investment for greatly improving my flying abilities, gaining insightful knowledge about airplane setup and most importantly, finding a new family here in the North Central region.

We do understand that contest participation is not for everyone. Our events are focused on quality of flights over quantity as we only have a limited window over a weekend to allow for equal participation to all contestants. I know it didn't seem like enough, but the 5 rounds that were flown at Saranac is very standard for a contest weekend (usually 3 rounds on Saturday, 1 unknown & 1 regular round on Sunday). The price for entry may seem high but we need to remember that our group is basically renting a club for 3 days. Those hosting club members are only willing to give up 3 good days of flying if the payoff is worth their sacrifice. If we didn't spread out our contests through this process we would not be able to reach a wide enough audience to participate. Along with the field rental fee, all of the other contest items need to be paid for including administrative costs and awards. IMAC does not make any money from these contests. The organization continues moving forward through our membership dues, hence why we offer a discount for contest entry fees as an active IMAC member.

In the end, we all do hope that you continue to fly with us. Your skills really impressed this weekend and we see a lot of potential for your continued growth through the ranks here. If nothing else we hope you can make Saranac every year. At the end of the day, this is always going to be a hobby, something that you enjoy in your free time to get away from the everyday boredom. Find what makes you happy and enjoy it to the fullest!
                  Matt Komar
                  - North Central ARD
                  - Team AJ Aircraft / Team Makin Bacon
                  - 2018 IMAC Worlds Team USA Member

Comment

Mike and Matt thanks for posting those 2007 and 2016 Contest Results! I think I was in the Same Place is Sportsman in 2016 as I was in Basic in 2007,LOL!

I've always enjoyed the Jackson Contest but in the same boat as Bill, being on the wrong side of the Border to attend. I sure miss Pam's Sloppy Joes. Like them so much started serving the Similar at my now defunct Flying Tigers Contest.

So how did the Contest go? Need a PIREP please!

Comment

Working...
                    X